Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Slice of Life #5: Take a Snapshot

My gym offers a class called BodyFlow that incorporates tai chi, yoga, and pilates. The class starts at 4:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I can never make it on time.

I decided I have to show up when I can. Often I walk in at 4:45, even 5:00 (I stay for the next class) and the teacher is so patient. I just jump right in wherever they are.

I literally show up for the relaxation portion. The last 10 minutes of the class we lay in "corpse pose" and listen to peaceful music. Sometimes, the relaxation just doesn't come. My mind is jumping around from place to place: "Oh, I forgot to do five things at work today - what will I do for dinner - when is vacation?"

Today, I actually relaxed. Something about the teacher's choice of words and the music lulled me into such a comfortable place that I could literally feel the stress and strain melt away. I placed myself back in time to days where I felt totally happy and free and brought those feelings into that space.

She invited us to take a snapshot in our mind of that feeling so that we can call back to it when we need it. I want to make a photo album of those kind of snapshots.

2 comments:

  1. The class sounds like a lot of fun. I often think about snapshots in my mind and wish I had a photo album of them. Sometimes my mind is racing and thinking of everything else instead of being present in the quiet times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Rob. I have started doing yoga with a friend of mine who is training to be an instructor and I love the relaxating of it all. I have to focus just because I'll fall and hurt myself if I don't! Great slice - luv ya

    ReplyDelete